Benefits of Elasticsearch
- Sophisticated search capabilities: including real-time indexing, geosearch, pattern search, and search on machine data.
- High Degree of Control: including direct control of relevance ranking, query processing, and indexing.
- Open Source: provides assurance of future continuity as well as the ability to change or fix any aspect of the search engine as required.
- Scale-up: no limits on size of documents or number of items indexed; pay as you grow. If you are hitting the limits of SharePoint search, you can use Elasticsearch to supplement your existing search and present users with a single unified result set through SmartHub .
- Fast answers: Elasticsearch is noted for quick response times and is notably faster than SharePoint search.
- Managed Service (with Elastic Cloud): results in lower cost and less work by eliminating the need to deal with servers, software updates, backups, etc. Elastic Cloud is available on Amazon Web Services and also on the Google Cloud Platform.
|Elasticsearch||SharePoint Server 2013 or 2016 Search|
Advanced Matching Power
|Regular Expression Matching||Y||N|
|Complex Data Types||Y||N|
Scale and Performance
|Amount of External Content||Unlimited
< 2.1 billion items per shard
|400 million items /
<20 million items per partition
|Maximum Document Size /
|2 GB /
2.1 billion characters
|64 MB /
2 million characters
|Query Latency||50-200 ms||200-800 ms|
|Indexing Latency||Seconds (real-time) /
|Matching, Ranking, and Indexing||Open Source||Sealed|