How BA Insight’s Improves on SharePoint Out of the Box (OOTB)
SharePoint Server comes with OOTB connectors for SharePoint content and sites, as well as for SharePoint people profiles. In many scenarios, the OOTB connectors are sufficient and should be used. However, there are important scenarios where BA Insight’s SharePoint Connector applies, because of capabilities beyond those available OOTB, such as:
- Elasticsearch and other non-SharePoint search engines: When you are indexing SharePoint 2013 content into a search engine other than SharePoint search, Microsoft’s OOTB connectors don’t apply. BA Insight’s SharePoint 2013 connector can be used with Elasticsearch, Recommind’s Decisiv search, Azure Search, and other search engines.
- Non-search applications: BA Insight’s connectors can be used to replicate SharePoint content into a list, a file system, a database, etc. using our Target feature. There is no capability for this with the OOTB connectors.
- Security mapping: When you need to adjust the security on SharePoint content during the indexing process, programmatic access to the ACL fields is required, along with a way to change them. You may want to ensure that any member of a specific team can see the final reports from that team, or tighten the search rights on any content containing “Company Confidential” in the footer of the document. With Microsoft’s OOTB connectors, there is no way to do this; BA Insight’s connectors and connector framework provide specific mechanisms for this.
- Cloud Hybrid Search and content processing: Microsoft’s cloud SSA used for the cloud Hybrid Search facility provides no access to the content and no entity extraction. BA Insight’s connectors and connector framework support the Content Enrichment Web Service (CEWS) removed by Microsoft, as well as other mechanisms such as a built-in scripting facility.
- Cloud Hybrid Search and security: There are some security scenarios not supported by the OOTB connectors with cloud Hybrid Search. If you have multiple domains with separate AD servers, and want to have a single index in O365, there is no way to do this OOTB. If you want to crawl a SharePoint farm that is using classic authentication, the content won’t be visible in search OOTB. BA Insight’s connectors and connector framework provide solutions for these scenarios.